Some family visas require an ‘assurance of support’ before a visa will be granted. It is also possible for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to request a discretionary assurance of support if there are concerns regarding the sponsor’s capacity to support the applicant.
An assurance of support is legal agreement by the assurer to pay the Commonwealth Government an amount equal to the amount of social security payments in case the visa holder needs to access income support payments.
Assurances of Support can be lodged by an Australian resident or organisation, but is usually a relative of the assuree.
An assurance of support cannot be withdrawn once the visa has been granted and the visa holder has arrived in Australia.
- Migration Edge exist to ensure smooth journeys and fair treatment for those who wish to come to Australia.
Keen to learn more? We invite you to search our archive of articles here.
If you are in need of expert advice about coming to Australia, or sponsoring a person to come to Australia, you have come to the right place.
Simply Click Here to get in touch; we are always available to chat.
- 2018.06.20New Zealand CitizensWhen would a New Zealand Citizen apply for a Visa prior to coming to Australia?
- 2018.05.29CitizenshipMy partner is a New Zealand citizen and lives in Australia– what are my visa options?
- 2018.05.28CitizenshipThe Australian General Skilled Migration Process – Beginning to End!
- 2018.05.26Permanent VisasResident Return Visas (subclasses 155 and 157)