Former Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents

If you are a former Australian citizen, there are a number of options you can explore in order to return to Australia. These include:

Former Resident Visa (151)

If you are a former Australian permanent resident, you may be able to apply for a Resident Return Visa (155 or 157). You can find more information about these visas here.

Alternatively, you may be eligible to apply for a Former Resident Visa (151).

There are two paths to applying for this visa.

You must either:

1. Be a long term resident

Typically this means that you must be under the age of 45, and spent the majority of your life, before the age of 18, in Australia as a permanent resident. You must have also maintained ties to Australia.


2. Be a Defense applicant.

Typically, this means that you would have to have completed at least three months military service within a designated time period.


You can apply for the 151 visa from either in Australia or overseas.

If you wish to discuss your options as a former Australian citizen or permanent resident, please use the contact form.

Author Profile

Migration Edge
Migration Edge
Migration Edge exist to ensure smooth journeys and fair treatment for those who wish to come to Australia.

Keen to learn more? We invite you to search our archive of articles here.

If you are in need of expert advice about coming to Australia, or sponsoring a person to come to Australia, you have come to the right place.

Simply Click Here to get in touch; we are always available to chat.