Getting Permanent Residency using your partner’s skills

When you are calculating how many points you can claim for a Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) or Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190), you can consider your skills, age, English language ability, Australian work experience, overseas work experience, Australian qualification and overseas qualifications.

A slightly more complicated but strategic way to earn more points is to utilise your partner’s skills. Your partner’s skills will only count towards your points test in a limited range of circumstances but it is worth 5 points and could be the difference between getting an invitation to apply for a visa or not. It’s worth getting right.

Your partner will need to have a positive skills assessment (like you) in order to be able to assist in getting those extra points. The very important point to remember is that your partner’s nominated skilled occupation must be on the same skilled occupations list as your nominated skilled occupation.

This can be quite confusing as the Department of Home Affairs introduced different Medium and Long‑term Strategic Skills List lists for different visa classes. If your occupation is on the same MLTSSL list as your partner then you will be able to claim the additional 5 points.

In addition to the skills assessment, at time of invitation, your partner also needs to have demonstrated ‘competent’ English and be under 50 years old.

Please note that you cannot receive these points if your partner is not included on your visa application, or if they are an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident.

You can calculate you points at our free points calculator: