The Maritime Crew Visa (988) is for crew members of non-military ships and their immediate family. This visa permits travel and entry to Australia by sea.
You must apply for this visa while outside of Australia and will not be entitled to work other than on the normal operational requirements of the ship.
The ship must be either:
- used for commercial trading
- used for carrying paying passengers
- owned and operated by a foreign government to do scientific research, or
- approved for ‘public vessel status’ by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
The Maritime Crew Visa (988) is valid for three years. If you sign off from your ship and do not join another ship, you must leave Australia within five days.
- Migration Edge exist to ensure smooth journeys and fair treatment for those who wish to come to Australia.
Keen to learn more? We invite you to search our archive of articles here.
If you are in need of expert advice about coming to Australia, or sponsoring a person to come to Australia, you have come to the right place.
Simply Click Here to get in touch; we are always available to chat.
- 2018.06.20New Zealand CitizensWhen would a New Zealand Citizen apply for a Visa prior to coming to Australia?
- 2018.05.29CitizenshipMy partner is a New Zealand citizen and lives in Australia– what are my visa options?
- 2018.05.28CitizenshipThe Australian General Skilled Migration Process – Beginning to End!
- 2018.05.26Permanent VisasResident Return Visas (subclasses 155 and 157)