Parent Visas

Applicants for parent visas are typically required to meet what is called the ‘balance of family’ test. The balance of family test requires that at least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or that more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

In order to count as living permanently in Australia, your children must be:

  • Australian citizens
  • Australian permanent residents who are usually resident in Australia
  • eligible New Zealand citizens who are normally resident in Australia.

Step-children are counted in the balance of family test.

This is designed as an objective test to determine ties to Australia and the nature or quality of the relationships are not considered.

Parent (103) and Aged Parent (804) Visas

These visas are for parents who meet the ‘balance of family’ test at the time of application and decision. You must be sponsored by one of your children who are ‘settled’ in Australia.

It is important to note that there is a strict cap on the number of parent visas that are issued and it is estimated that the wait could be as long as 30 years.

The 103 visa is an offshore visa for parents of any age. The 804 is an onshore visa for ‘aged’ parents.

Contributory Parent Visa (143, 173, 864 and 884) Visas

There are four types of contributory parent visas:
– Contributory Parent (Temporary)(173) visa (offshore)
– Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)(884) visa (onshore)
– Contributory Parent (Migrant)(143) visa (offshore)
– Contributory Aged Parent (Residence)(864) visa (onshore)

The Contributory parent visa are available to parents of any age. The Contributory aged parent visas are only available to parents over the age of 65 (at time of writing, this will increase incrementally to 67 by 1 July 2023).

These visas are expensive and also carry an indexed health charge and an assurance of support for the permanent visas.