The Prospective Marriage Visa (300) is designed for people who wish to come to Australia in order to marry the person sponsoring them. The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible NZ Citizen.
This visa is a temporary visa that lasts for 9 months. This visa cannot be extended and you cannot apply for another one. You must marry your sponsor during this time. This visa must be applied for and granted while offshore. However, the wedding can be in any country. It does not have to be held in Australia.
Your application must include proof that you plan to marry within 9 months.
- Genuinely intend to marry and live as husband or wife with your prospective spouse
- be sponsored by your prospective spouse
- know your prospective spouse and have met in person
- be the opposite sex to your prospective spouse (same-sex couples can apply for Partner visas)
- meet age (both parties must be over 18), health and character requirements.
While you are on the 300 visa you can apply for the Partner visa (820/801) within Australia.