Student Visas (500)

There are only two student visa subclasses:

  • Student Visa (500)
  • Student Guardian Visa (590)

To be eligible for a student visa, you need to be assessed that you are a genuine temporary entrant. This means, you intend to come to Australia on a temporary basis in order to study.

You course must be full time and relevant to your circumstances.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection will assess your:

  • Health and character
  • Past academic record
  • Level of English proficiency
  • Financial capacity to undertake the course
  • Capacity to support any dependents
  • Past immigration history

English Language Requirements

Where evidence of your language proficiency is required, test results are generally accepted from:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Occupational English Test (OET)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT)
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)
  • Cambridge Advanced English (CAE).

Some exemptions do apply.

Financial Capacity

You will be required to have sufficient funds available to support your stay in Australia. You can either show evidence that you have funds to cover travel costs, 12 months living costs and tuition fees or evidence that your spouse or parents meet the ‘annual income requirement’.


There are a number of conditions that apply to holders of the Student Visa (500). For example, students must be enrolled in a registered course and maintain satisfactory attendance. Typically students can work 40 hours a fortnight.

Student Guardian Visa (590)

Student Guardian visas are designed to allow a parent or legal guardian of a student under 18 years of ago to accompany the student to Australia. The guardian is responsible for providing accommodation and support to the student.

Student guardians must be over 21 years of age and are generally the parent or legal guardian of the student.