Temporary Graduate (485) Visa

If you are an overseas student and have completed your studies but are not eligible for a permanent visa, you may be eligible for the Temporary Graduate (485) visa.

This is an onshore visa that will allow you to gain work experience in Australia or improve your English skills.

To apply, you must hold an eligible student visa (or have held it in the last 6 months).

You must be under that age of 50 and completed your degree, diploma or trade qualification within the 6 months prior to your application. You will also need to have ‘competent’ English.

This visa is not subject to a points test and cannot be extended.

Post-Study Work Stream

If you graduated from an Australian education provider with a bachelor degree or higher, you may be able to be granted the 485 visa for up to 4 years. Applicants are not subject to the Skilled Occupations List.

To be eligible, you must have been granted your first student visa on or after 5 November 2011.

Graduate Work Stream

Under this stream, you can be granted the 485 visa for 18 months. You will be subject to the Skilled Occupations List.