This visa allows people to come to Australia to perform certain types of work which only require a short stay. This visa is for people to:
- do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work
- in limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests.
Generally stay is limited to 3 months, but 6 months may be considered in exceptional circumstances. This visa consists of two streams:
- Highly specialised work stream
- Australia’s Interest Stream
Highly Specialised Work Stream
This is designed for people who are required undertake work of a highly specialised nature. The work is to be non-ongoing; not more than 6 months continuously and the visa holder is only allowed to be in Australia for 6 months out of a 12 month period.
You can apply for this visa to do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work in Australia if you have specialised skills, knowledge or experience that:
- can assist Australian business and
- cannot reasonably be found in the Australian labour market.
Australia’s Interest Stream
This stream is for people who are required to visit Australia in order to participate in an event, activity or work directly related to Australia’s interests. The activity must not exceed 6 months and the holder cannot be in Australia for more than 6 months in a 12 month period. This stream is only offered in very limited circumstances. For example, this visa could be granted to emergency workers to come to Australia after a natural disaster.