Visas for Children

Child (101 and 802) Visas

These visas allow children to come live with their parents in Australia. The sponsoring parent must be an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The spouse or de facto partner of the child’s parent can also sponsor the child.

The 101 visa is for children who are outside of Australia and are sponsored by a parent to live in Australia indefinitely. If your child is already in Australia, the 802 visa allows them to stay.

The child must be single, under 18 years of age, or:

  • a full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age, or
  • 18 or older and unable to work due to a disability and dependent on the sponsoring parent.

These visas allow children access to Medicare and Centrelink. They are allowed to work and study.

Dependent Child (445) Visa

This visa allows children to come to Australia if their parent has been sponsored for a partner visa. Upon approval of a Partner visa (309 or 820), the sponsoring spouse can also sponsor dependent children to come to Australia on a 445 visa.

This visa can be applied for from within Australia or overseas.

A child might be able to get this visa if they are:

  • sponsored by the same person who sponsored their parent
  • single
  • younger than 18 years of age, or are
  • financially dependent on their parent holding the temporary Partner visa, or
  • incapacitated for work due to the total or partial loss of bodily or mental functions.

Adoption (102) Visa

This visa is designed for children who are adopted outside of Australia to come and live in Australia with their adoptive parents.

To be eligible for this visa the must be:

  • outside Australia
  • under 18 years old
  • already adopted or in the process of being adopted
  • sponsored by an adoptive parent or prospective adoptive parent.

If a child is in Australia and has already been adopted, then the 802 Child visa is the appropriate visa.

Orphan Relative (117 and 837) Visa

Orphan Relative visas are for children whose parents are dead, permanently incapacitated or of unknown whereabouts.

These visas are for children who are:

  • an orphan, or their parents are unable to care for them
  • younger than 18 years of age
  • sponsored by their relative who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • single.

If the child is outside of Australia, the 117 is the appropriate visa. For onshore applicants it is the 837 visa.

The sponsoring relative must be the child’s the brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle or step-equivalent.