Working Holiday (subclass 417) Visa

The Working Holiday (417) is for young people (from eligible countries) who wish to come to Australia on a temporary basis to work and holiday for up to one year.

To be eligible for this visa you must:

  • Be at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age
  • not have a dependent child accompanying you at any time during your stay in Australia
  • have a passport from an eligible country.
  • be a genuine visitor who wants to have a holiday in Australia
  • have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000), and
  • have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay.

Applications for this visa must be made from outside of Australia. You can not work for one employer for more than 6 months and can study for up to 4 months. The visa allows for multiple entries.

Eligible Passports

To apply for this visa, you must hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia. Eligible countries are:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National
  • Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom.

Second Working Holiday Visa

If you are already in Australia on a Working Holiday visa and have been granted a second Working Holiday visa, you can:

  • stay in Australia for up to 24 months from the date you entered Australia on your first Working Holiday visa
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.